The mission of the Utah Fetal Alcohol Coalition is to prevent Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) and to promote effective, life-long interventions for those affected by prenatal exposure to alcohol and their families.
What is FASD
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) is an umbrella term describing the range of effects that can occur in an individual whose mother drank alcohol during pregnancy. These effects can include, physical, mental, behavioral, and/or learning disabilities with possible lifelong implications. The term FASD is not intended for use as a clinical diagnosis.
FASD News and Events
- Set Sail with FASD: Blog by families in Utah with children with FASD.
- Am I crazy? by Natalie Driggs
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Awareness Day, September 9, 2014
- Are you or your business looking for a way to support the 2014 FASD Awareness Day activities in Utah? Contact us to make a donation of in-kind materials, services (printing needed), funds, or your time.
- Utah Fetal Alcohol Coalition FASD Awareness Activities 2014
- Join us on the steps of the Utah State Capitol, Tuesday, September 9th at 9:09 am for our FASD Day event and press conference. Coalition members, a physician, and families will speak about FASD and provide interviews with the media. (A special "thank you" to the Capitol Preservation Board.)
- Facebook: Watch for posts at Utah Fetal Alcohol Coalition; MotherToBabyUT; Utah Act Early; Medical Home Portal
- Twitter: Watch for posts at MotherToBabyUT; UtahActEarly
- Partner FASD Awareness Activities 2014
- NOFAS News
- NOFAS Videos
- MotherToBaby (Organization of Teratology Information Specialists) Alcohol and Pregnancy Fact Sheet
- Follow MotherToBaby UT (Pregnancy Risk Line) on Facebook and Twitter
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- FASD Awareness Day with a parent's story (UFAC's Melissa Woods), training materials, information for families (FASD Mobile App), and more
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Competency-Based Curriculum Development Guide for Medical and Allied Health Education and Practice
Featured Resource: Parents Empowered helps prevent underage drinking
FASD Fact Sheet from the CDC and more resources to track developmental milestones