Due to staffing changes, the support groups are no longer meeting. Please check back later for updates.Watch this video from the CDC to hear about one parent's experience with FASD.
Other Events and News
Find more announcements and events on our Facebook page.
Past Events and News:
Dealing with Challenging Behavior
- Thursday, February 25, 2016, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- Utah Foster Care, 5296 South Commerce Dr. #400, Murray, UT 84107
- Come listen to Regina Tippets, a licensed counselor in Murray, talk about ways to support children with challenging behaviors, most specifically children with FASD. Come learn about building strong relationships and improving communication skills so as to better provide a loving and safe environment for all children with special needs. Handout at right.
Free Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Parent Seminar
- Saturday, April 11, 2015, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Utah Parent Center, 230 W. 200 South, Suite 1101, Salt Lake City, UT 84101 (in the same parking lot as the downtown Post Office)
- This seminar, sponsored by the Utah Fetal Alcohol Coalition and the Utah Parent Center, is for parents of children with FASD and their providers. Speakers will discuss common challenges for families, the FAS diagnosis, school issues, neuropsychological assessments, getting jobs, and the court system. The Seminar and lunch are free. Space is limited, so please use the Registration Form to save a space. For questions, contact Lynn Tanner at email@example.com or 801-309-3998.
Planning for Special Needs: Legal & Financial Steps Caregivers Can Take
- Tuesday, November 11, 2014, 6:30 - 9:00 pm
- Utah Valley University, 8000 West University Parkway, Orem, UT 84058
- In this workshop, the presenters provide a checklist and blueprint of important steps to take; explain the Federal benefits available and how to preserve them; describe legal tools such as trusts that benefit Special Needs specifically; and in general outline the options available for individuals and families dealing with these important issues. Registration required; contact Vicky at 801-863-5425. For more information visit Planning For Special Needs
Utah Fetal Alcohol Coalition FASD Awareness Activities 2014
- Join us on the steps of the Utah State Capitol, Tuesday, September 9th at 9:09 am for our FASD Day event and press conference. Coalition members, a physician, and families will speak about FASD and provide interviews with the media. (A special "thank you" to the Capitol Preservation Board.)
Disability Advisory Council Public Comment
- The August 26, 2014 Disability Advisory Council meeting will include an hour of public comment. People, families, providers, -all are welcome to address the Council or the Division. We are encouraging discussions of concerns, success, and areas to investigate. The meeting will begin at 2:00PM at the Multi State Agency Office Building, 195 North 1950 West, Room 1020c, Salt Lake City. The public comment period is scheduled for 3:00. Please reserve a speaking time with Ryan Carrier (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 801-538-4172.
2014 Family Links Statewide Conference
- 2-day Conference
- Friday and Saturday, February 28 and March 1, 2014
- Murray High School, 5440 South State Street, Murray, UT
- Families of children and youth with special needs and disabilities are invited to attend the Utah Family Links Conference. Sessions include information on keeping marriages strong; siblings get-together; employment & postsecondary education; dual diagnosis; working with schools; accommodations in college; Employment First; self-determination; legal planning and trusts; assistive technology; housing; pie social for dads; Down syndrome expert panel; funding issues; caregiving; and much more. To register, see the Family Links Registration page. Registration costs range from $10 (Friday Keynote only) to $35 (Friday & Saturday including dinner Friday).
The IEP Process and Dispute Resolution: Questions and Answers
- 2-hour Workshop
- Tuesday, March 11, 2014
- Utah Parent Center, 230 West 200 South, Suite 1101, Salt Lake City, UT
- Please join the Utah Parent Center and the Disability Law Center for this free IEP Process and Dispute Resolution Question and Answer Session for parents of children and youth with disabilities or special needs. For details and to register, see the IEP Clinic Q & A page.
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Awareness Day, September 9, 2013
- Are you or your business looking for a way to support the 2013 FASD Awareness Day activities in Utah? Contact us to make a donation of in-kind materials, services (printing needed), funds, or your time.
- Utah Fetal Alcohol Coalition FASD Awareness Activities 2013
- Thanks to everyone for their support and help with the activities!
- Dad of teen with FASD interviewed for Baby Your Baby television spot on KUTV News
- WIC Wire September 2013 newsletter from Utah WIC
- Visit UFAC at the Empowering Fearless Birth event in Provo, UT on Saturday, September 21, 2013.
- Facebook: Utah Fetal Alcohol Coalition; MotherToBabyUT; Utah Act Early; Medical Home Portal
- Twitter: MotherToBabyUT; UtahActEarly
- Medical Home Corner article in the Utah Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics The Growing Times newsletter, Fall 2013
- Partner FASD Awareness Activities 2013
- NOFAS News
- NOFAS Videos
- Dr. Ken Jones talks about the 40 Years Since the Discovery of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome on YouTube video
- FASD Awareness: What's Nutrition Got To Do With It? blog
- Alcohol Consumption During Pregnancy 'Still Major Concern' 40 Years After FAS Discovery press release
- Table at 6th Annual Community Anti-Drug and Alcohol Rally, Layton, UT, September 21, 2013
- MotherToBaby (Organization of Teratology Information Specialists) Alcohol and Pregnancy Fact Sheet
- Follow MotherToBaby UT (Pregnancy Risk Line) on Facebook and Twitter
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- FASD Awareness Day with a parent's story (UFAC's Melissa Woods), training materials, information for families (FASD Mobile App), and more
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Competency-Based Curriculum Development Guide for Medical and Allied Health Education and Practice
Living with FASD Summit
- Telesummit (like a mini-conference)
- Monday, September 9, 2013, for 12 days.
- Free information (for registered participants for a limited time) and practical strategies for families with childrne with FASD. Speakers include professionals/parents rasing children with FASD. For details and to register, see the Living with FASD 2013 Summit page.
FASD Intervention Strategies
- One-day training for professionals.
- Thursday, April 11, 2013, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Department of Human Services, 195 North 1950 West, Room 1020C, Salt Lake City, UT
- For details and to register, see the Frontier Regional FASD Training Center page.
2013 Learning Disabilities Association of Utah Conference
- One-day conference for families, students, and professionals.
- Friday, March 15, 2013, 7:00 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
- Weber State University, Shepherd Union Building, Ogden, UT
- For details and to register, see the Learning Disabilities Association of Utah page.
FASD Training of Trainers
- Free two-day course for professionals.
- Tuesday-Wednesday, December 4-5, 2012, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Must attend both days.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Airport - East, Salt Lake City, UT
- Pre-registration is required. Class will be cancelled if not enough people are pre-registered.
Adolescent Brain Development Training
- Six-hour course for professionals
- Thursday, October 25, 2012, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Utah Department of Human Services, Salt Lake City, UT
- For details and to register, see the Adolescent Brain Development Training announcement and RSVP to Becky King at email@example.com or 801-538-4278.
Parent Seminar: Caring for Individuals with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders
- Free seminar for parents and families with children with FASD. Guest speaker Dr. Mary DeJoseph from SAMHSA's FASD Center for Excellence. Her daughter will share her life experiences also.
- Wednesday, May 16, 2012
- Davis Behavioral Health, Layton, UT
- For details and to register, see the Parent Seminar Announcement or call Kellie Butcher at 801-425-9393.
- Adopting and Fostering Children with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders
- FASD Intervention
- FASD: What Everyone Should Know
- FASD: What the Foster Care System Should Know
- From the Inside Out: A Guide to Understanding a Child with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders
- How Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Co-Occur With Mental Illness
- Let's Talk FASD
Vital Signs: Binge Drinking Prevalence, Frequency, and Intensity Among Adults
- Report and materials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), January 2012
- Binge Drinking web page
- Fact Sheet
- Press Release
What Every Allied Healthcare Professional Needs to Know About FASD's
- "Training of trainers" workshop for professionals
- Wednesday-Friday, March 28-30, 2012
- Reno, NV
- For details and to register, see the Frontier Regional FASD Training Center web page.
Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) Workshop
- "Training of trainers" workshop for professionals
- 9:00 to 5:00 pm, Friday, March 30, 2012
- At the Generations Conference, Hilton Salt Lake City Center, Salt Lake City, UT
- For details and to RSVP, see the announcement or contact Becky King, 801-538-4278, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Related Publications: SBIRT Utah Brochure; SBIRT Training, Resources and National SBIRT Projects; SBIRT Statistics; Back to Basics Vol 1; Back to Basics Vol 2; Back to Basics Vol 3; Back to Basics Vol 4; Back to Basics Vol 5; Back to Basics Vol 6; WI Cost Benefit Analysis; SBIRT Literature Review
Dr. Hoyme Visit, September 22, 2011, Salt Lake City, UTOn Thursday, September 22, 2011, H. Eugene Hoyme, MD, FACMG, will be visiting Salt Lake City for lectures and meeings.
- At 8:00 am, Dr. Hoyme will be speaking at Pediatric Grand Rounds sponsored by and held at Primary Children's Medical Center.
- At 12:00 pm, Dr. Hoyme will be speaking at the Resident Noon Conference sponsored by and held at Primary Children's Medical Center.
- At 2:00 pm, Dr. Hoyme will be attending the Utah Fetal Alcohol Coalition Meeting at the Utah Department of Health, Children with Special Health Care Needs Building, 44 Mario Capecchi Dr. Seating is limited, so please RSVP to Al Romeo at email@example.com.
FASD Training, October 21-22, 2011, St. George, UTOn Friday and Saturday, October 21-22, 2011, the Utah Fetal Alcohol Coalition is sponsoring a workshop on Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders in St. George. Utah Department of Health partnered with the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (DABC) to revise the existing alcohol warning signs in locations where alcohol is served. The signs warn women to not drink alcohol when pregnant to avoid the risks of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD).
- Fox 13 News news video and story
- Fox 13 News media event notice
- ABC 4 News news story
- Standard-Examiner news article
- Salt Lake Tribune news story
- Warning Sign
Press information in response to "Light drinking during pregnancy..." research studyThe Pregnancy Risk Line at the Department of Health (one of the partners in the Utah Fetal Alcohol Coalition), distributed a press release in response to the recent article by Kelly et al. Below are links to information for the press.
- Press Release
- Light drinking during pregnancy: still no increased risk for socioemotional difficulties or cognitive deficits at 5 years of age? by Kelly et al. (article abstract)
- Response from Dr. Ira Chasnoff
- Pregnancy Risk Line / MotherToBabyUT
- Teratogens List (exposures that cause birth defects)
- Organization of Teratology Information Services (OTIS) News article on alcohol in pregnancy
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism FAS Facial Features
- CDC Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders page
- KSL Radio news story
- Deseret News news story
- Salt Lake Tribune news story
- ABC 4 News news story
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Awareness DaySupport FASD Awareness Day on September 9th (9/9/2011) and pledge to be alcohol-free during your 9 months of pregnancy. Join an event in your town or start your own event. You can make a difference and help prevent birth defects and life-long disabilities caused by drinking alcohol during pregnancy.
FASD Awareness Day Materials for Cities and Press OrganizationsWhat: The Utah Fetal Alcohol Coalition has developed 4 posters for cities to display in government buildings. The display stands are included. Use these materials to support FASD awareness all year long, promote a proclamation, or support local families that are promoting FASD awareness.
Date: Available all year long.
Contact: Al Romeo (firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule the posters for your city.
- Ashalon Poster in PDF large, JPG large, JPG medium
- Kellee Poster in PDF large, JPG large, JPG medium
- Ruth Poster in PDF large, JPG large, JPG medium
- Terra and Jeremy Poster in PDF large, JPG large, JPG medium>
FASD Awareness Day Events, News, and Links from Around the World
- CDC Features FASD
- The FASD Center
- Some restaurants to serve free non-alcoholic drinks to pregnant women Thursday (Juneau Empire, Alaska)
- High Cost: Drinking While Pregnant (The Ledger, Lakeland, Florida)
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Prevention Services Expanded to Become a Statewide Initiative (readMedia, Albany, New York)
- Fetal alcohol disorders costly to children, taxpayers (Houston Chronicle, Texas)
- My Turn: A Day for Fetal Alcohol Awareness (Kitsap Sun, Washington)
- Province Recognizes FASD Prevention and Support Day (British Columbia, Canada)
- Pregnant Pause to Recognize FASD Awareness Day (Ontario, Canada)
- Risk of Fetal Damage Could Increase, Warns ALAC (Scoop, New Zealand
- FASfacts (South Africa)
- Baby Born Free