The mission of the Utah Fetal Alcohol Coalition is to prevent Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) and to promote effective, life-long interventions for those affected by prenatal exposure to alcohol and their families.
What is FASD
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) is an umbrella term describing the range of effects that can occur in an individual whose mother drank alcohol during pregnancy. These effects can include, physical, mental, behavioral, and/or learning disabilities with possible lifelong implications. The term FASD is not intended for use as a clinical diagnosis.
FASD News and Events
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Awareness Day, September 9th
- Are you or your business looking for a way to support the 2013 FASD Awareness Day activities in Utah? Contact us to make a donation of in-kind materials, services (printing needed), funds, or your time.
- Utah Fetal Alcohol Coalition FASD Awareness Activities 2013
- Thanks to everyone for their support and help with the activities!
- Dad of teen with FASD interviewed for Baby Your Baby television spot on KUTV News
- WIC Wire September 2013 newsletter from Utah WIC
- Visit UFAC at the Empowering Fearless Birth event in Provo, UT on Saturday, September 21, 2013.
- Facebook: Utah Fetal Alcohol Coalition; MotherToBabyUT; Utah Act Early; Medical Home Portal
- Twitter: MotherToBabyUT; UtahActEarly
- Medical Home Corner article in the Utah Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics The Growing Times newsletter, Fall 2013
- Partner FASD Awareness Activities 2013
- NOFAS News
- NOFAS Videos
- Dr. Ken Jones talks about the 40 Years Since the Discovery of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome on YouTube video
- FASD Awareness: What's Nutrition Got To Do With It? blog
- Alcohol Consumption During Pregnancy 'Still Major Concern' 40 Years After FAS Discovery press release
- Table at 6th Annual Community Anti-Drug and Alcohol Rally, Layton, UT, September 21, 2013
- MotherToBaby (Organization of Teratology Information Specialists) Alcohol and Pregnancy Fact Sheet
- Follow MotherToBaby UT (Pregnancy Risk Line) on Facebook and Twitter
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- FASD Awareness Day with a parent's story (UFAC's Melissa Woods), training materials, information for families (FASD Mobile App), and more
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Competency-Based Curriculum Development Guide for Medical and Allied Health Education and Practice
Featured Resource: Parents Empowered helps prevent underage drinking
FASD Fact Sheet from the CDC and more resources to track developmental milestones